Thursday, August 30, 2012

Soundtrack to my Summer: Somethin' 'Bout a Truck


I couldn’t close my summer soundtrack series with anything but a country song. The problem is just choosing one. With the sun shining bright, windows down, warm breeze blowing, only country music will suffice. And nothing brings out the southern gal in me like summertime and my favorite country station.

Though several country songs twanged their way into my heart, one particularly won me over. I don’t know what it is, but there’s just Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck.




The untraditional country jam takes me back to long weekends on the lake. Surrounded by friends, soaking up the sun and just loving life. Hearing those first couple notes takes me back to getting up on the wakeboard, tasting a beer for the first time, and cooking chicken alfredo for all my guys. I think of late night pillow talks with my girls and sore arms from tubing all day and everyone scrambling to get the snake out of the house.

And just as each memory is unique, Kip Moore’s Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck is one of a kind. Instead of the usual verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge format, Moore builds verse upon verse. Moore defended his creative license in an interview with Country Music Tattle Tale:

“People called me crazy at first because we wrote four verses before we get to the chorus, but I stuck to my guns and said, ‘This is how I am supposed to write this song.’ For this to go number one and the American public to fall in love with this song, that is validation for how I like to write, and that is with no boundaries.”

On top of that, Moore’s gravelly voice is to die for. The sultry tone makes me want to jump in the back of a truck, drive out to a field and lay under the stars. It makes me want to breathe in the wild country air and maybe even dare to shed my clothes to jump in a creek.

“There’s something about you and me and the birds and the bees and Lord have mercy it’s a beautiful thing. Ain’t nothin’ ‘bout it luck. That’s somethin’ ‘bout a truck.”

My only complaint about this song is that it always ends too soon.

Kind of like summer.

So, tell me. What was the soundtrack to your summer? What melodies marked your warm weather months?



2 comments:

  1. I may not be the biggest country fan ever, but I respect the classics so much (Cash, Orbison, Presley), and there are a few contemporaries that I enjoy as well like Dierks Bentley. While perusing the radio this summer I ran across this song, and I really enjoyed it as well. So great choice Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a song/video is a bit steamy for a family blog, don't you think? =)

    ReplyDelete