Thursday, September 6, 2012

College Survival Guide: The Eating


Nothing excited me more about my senior year of college than this one truth: I will never, ever eat in the caf ever again.

Over summer, I dreamed about all the meals I would cook, all the recipes I would try and all the dinners I would host. My diet would no longer consist of salads every lunch and sandwiches every dinner. I would no longer be confined to a strict eating schedule. I could have breakfast at 10 a.m. and dinner at 8 p.m. if I wanted.

Then classes started. And I realized the time it took to plan meals, to purchase groceries and to actually cook. All of the sudden, this no-caf life didn’t seem so glamorous.

Determined not to get stuck in a rut of granola bars and peanut butter sandwiches, I scourged the internet for tips and tricks to eat healthy, smart, quick and cheap. Now, I graciously bring them to you.

#1 Buy a crock-pot. No, not the cheapest appliance in the kitchen, but spending $30 now can save you so much more in the long run—not only in bills but in time. My favorite thing about my crock-pot is that I can throw in all my ingredients in the morning, and I will have a finished meal at dinner. For a busy student like me, my slow cooker is a lifesaver. Click here for my very favorite Crockpot Salsa Chickenrecipe.

For more of my favorite crock-pot recipes, check out my
'can't wait to cook' board on Pinterest by clicking here.

#2 Grab some mason jars. For ten cents at a thrift store, you can prepare a whole meal to store for days ahead of time. On Sunday, I can prepare my oatmeal smoothie or my favorite salad, and it will still be ready to grab and go on Wednesday or Thursday. It may not be a four-course meal, but it is quick and healthy. And it is much more filling than a granola bar or a protein shake. Good news, you’rejust one click away from instructions for my Mason Jar Salad.



#3 Make a spreadsheet. Okay, I know this sounds a little bit nerdy, but it’s been incredibly useful for me. I will take five minutes each Saturday to plan out my meals for the entire week. With my schedule in front of me, I know when I will have time to cook and when I won’t. With all my meals out in front of me, I also know exactly what I need to buy at the grocery store, helping me avoid all those impulse purchases. Those five minutes of work save me dollars in my wallet and precious minutes in my week.

So there you have it! A couple of guidelines I use to make eating easier in college. But, I’m always looking for new advice. What do you do to make the most of your budget, save time and stay out of food ruts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment